What’s a blog niche and why do I need one?
When it comes to blogging, picking a good niche is essential to your blog’s success. A good niche will help you stand out from the competition and make your blog rank way better on search engines. Not to mention, it will help you attract the right readers and grow your niche blog much faster.
But how do you go about choosing a niche that’s right for you? In this 3-step guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know! We’ll give you tips on how to find blogging niches that are profitable and discuss different ways to narrow down your options. So whether you’re just in the early stages of starting a new blog, or looking for new blog niche ideas, this guide is made for you!
Picking your niche doesn’t have to be difficult or overwhelming. Just follow these 3 steps and you’ll be well on your way to finding the perfect niche!
Step #1 – Figure out what you’re genuinely interested in
This is a great place to start when it comes to picking your blog niche. After all, you’ll be spending a lot of time writing about your chosen topic, so it’s really important that you’re truly interested in your blog niche! It will be very difficult to keep a successful blog if you aren’t passionate about your niche.
Think about the topics that you’re naturally drawn to when you’re reading or browsing the internet. What are the topics that you can’t help but click on? These are usually good indications of what you should blog about.
For example, if you love animals, then a blog niche about pets or animal care would be a great fit. If you’re a foodie, then a blog about recipes or cooking would be perfect. Once you’ve figured out what you’re most interested in, you can start to narrow down your options.
Here are some of the most popular blogging niches:
If you’re having trouble coming up with ideas, here are some of the most popular blogging niches to get you started:
- Outdoor activities such as camping, fishing, and hiking
- Healthy recipes, veganism, and plant-based diets
- Mindfulness, meditation, and yoga
- Traveling, backpacking, and adventure
- Fitness and working out, with a focus on at-home workouts
- Parenting hacks and advice
- Fashion, beauty, hair, and makeup
- Food, recipes, healthy eating, healthy cooking
- Wellness and self-care
- Sustainability, zero waste living, and eco-friendly tips
- Do It Yourself (DIY) projects, woodworking, arts and crafts
- Productivity and time management
- Dating, relationships, and sex
- Money blogging, personal finance, business, and careers
- Technology, computer tutorials, gadgets reviews
- Weight loss and dieting
- Anxiety, depression, and mental health
- Hobbies such as collecting items
- Pets, animals, and veterinary care
- Entrepreneurship, blogging, and social media
- Politics, current events, and social issues
- Business and finance, making money online, investments
- Photography, camera, and lens reviews
- Popular sports such as football, baseball, basketball, tennis
- Musical instruments, playing and learning guitar, piano
- Auto, truck, motorcycle reviews, and how-to’s
- Celebrities, gossip, and entertainment news
- Product reviews and comparisons
- Education and teaching resources
- And TV show recaps and reviews
As you can see, there are a ton of different blog niche ideas out there. These are just a few of the most popular and profitable blog niche ideas, but there are endless possibilities when it comes to picking a niche for your blog!
Think about the things you enjoy doing in your spare time. Do you love to cook? Do you love fashion and beauty? Are you into health and fitness? Get creative and think outside the box for even more ideas.
Now that you’ve figured out what you’re interested in and have brainstormed some specific niche ideas, it’s time to move on to the next step:
Step #2 – Narrow down your interests until you have a very specific blog niche
Now that you’ll have a list of potential blog niche ideas, it’s time to start narrowing them down. The key here is to find a niche that is specific enough that you can become an expert on the topic, but not so specific that there isn’t enough to talk about!
For example, let’s say you’re interested in meditation. Again, this is a great starting point, but it’s too broad. It will be very competitive if you want to rank your blog for such a broad search term. You’ll need to narrow it down to make it more specific. Maybe you could blog about a specific type of meditation, such as Transcendental Meditation.
The key is to find a blogging niche that’s specific enough so that you can become an expert on the topic! Once you’ve narrowed down on a very specific blog niche idea, it’s time to move on to the last step:
Step #3 – Validate your blog’s niche idea to see if it’s a profitable niche
The final step in how to pick your niche is validation. This is where you’ll want to make sure that there’s actually a market for your niche idea.
There are a few different ways to start validating your niche idea:
- Perform a Google search for popular blog posts in your niche. If there are already popular blog posts being written on your topic, that is promising.
- Check out Amazon.com for books in your niche idea. If there are already popular books being published on your topic, that’s a good additional sign that people are interested in learning more about it!
- You could also search for relevant forums and online communities. If you can find an active community of people talking about your niche idea, that’s a great additional sign as well.
Now the most important thing: keyword research!
Now you have keywords to play with, do some keyword research with a good keyword research tool like Google Adwords Keyword Planner, or Wordstream, which is free and totally awesome. This way you can see the actual numbers of people that are searching for your specific niche topic. You need a decent amount of combined search volume.
BONUS: Search for your perfect domain name
Choosing a domain name for your blog is an important decision. Your domain name is how people will find you online, so you want to make sure it’s something easy to remember and relevant to your niche. Here are a few tips for choosing a great domain name:
- You can use a name generator like Namelix to help you come up with a great domain name for your blog.- Make it relevant to your niche.
- Keep it short and sweet. A shorter domain name is easier to remember and type out than a long, complicated one.
- Avoid using hyphens or numbers. These can be confusing and hard to remember, and people might end up on someone else’s blog when searching for yours.
- If you can, try to include keywords related to your niche in your domain name. This will help people find your blog more easily when they’re searching for information on that topic. It will also be useful for your Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Choose a .com domain name if possible. As you know these domains are the most popular and easiest to remember. You can’t go wrong with a .com. If the domain name is taken, here are some great tips I learned over the years: You could try adding “the” or “my” in front, or “blog” or “online” at the end. There are even more words to use here, so be creative. You could also try a different TDL (Top Domain Level) like .blog as Tim Ferris did. He thinks .blog will become a really popular choice for blogs one day.
Follow these steps and you’ll be well on your way to setting up a successful blog in no time. Blogging can be a great way to share your passions with the world, make some extra money, or even turn it into a full-time career. But it all starts with finding the right niche for you.
So what are you waiting for? It’s time to get started on your blog!
One last thing: don’t forget to have fun with it! Blogging should be something you enjoy, so make sure to choose a topic that you’re passionate about. With the right niche, your blog has the best foundation to become successful over time. Thanks for reading and best of luck!
After many years of struggling to make money online (read more About Me), I found the perfect online business model!
Want to learn more? Join former factory worker turned million-dollar marketer and discover the proven formula for automated sales and success, including mentorship!
👉 I hope this guide was helpful. If you have any questions or tips of your own, please leave them in the comments below. Happy blogging!